Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Daughter creature

I think I've outed myself as a "bad parent," and it's probably been noted that I eschew (actually...I just really wanted to use that word) the normal affectionate knicknames (sweetie, honeybun, little brat) and favor ones that have a little bit more color, i.e. rat girl, punk rock squirrel, fink, etc. If you don't have children let me assure you that this is normal and justified behavior. However, I find myself wondering more and more often if I don't have this parent/child thing a little reversed.

I haven't seen the daughter creature in a month or so (I didn't misplace her or antyhing, we have split custody and she's been at her "real" mother's house), and the first thing that we did when she got back was go to weed my garden. "Do you ever weed the garden when I'm not here to remind you?" was daughter creature's first comment.

"It's not a garden, it's an oxygen farm." I muttered.

"I think that if we weed a little bit everyday then we can get this done by the time I go to Canada with Grandma, I'm thinking maybe half an hour everyday," she says in such a reasonable tone of voice that I can't find anything to argue with.

"Grumble grumble, okay, I guess." says me.

"In fact, I think I'm going to write you up a schedule for when I am in Canada. You can check off every day after you do your garden chores, and then when I get back I'll be able to check and make sure you did it."

"Seems like that would take all the fun out of it, grumble grumble."

She just had her ninth birthday, and she seems determined to skip the whole "tween," "teen," phase and go straight to middle age.

"So what do you want to do today." I asked after she woke me up this morning.

Giving me an evil look she said, "You know what we have to do today, you can't get out of it that easily, we have to weed the garden."

Little tyrant. She also makes me go for walks. She's a short, bossy, nine year old life coach, and after she's done turning me around we can rent her out by the hour.

Ragnar...no longer captain of this here pirate ship.

3 comments:

Beverley said...

Could I borrow her for a while, she may just be the kick in pants my son needs!!

Good to see your post!! Miss your everyday ones. I find myself checking everyday and hoping. Not that I have been regular lately. Too cold in the computer room and another southerly on its way tonight!! Oh well I suppose it is winter and I am already fed upof complaining about it.

Knit on!!

PS When are we going to see the artist results!!??

Anonymous said...

Try being bossed around by a barely verbal breast-milk addict! The strangest things happen to be that I understand that he : wants the straw from my cup.... really, really wants the yogurt when I open the fridge; hates it when I am on the computer, like the stange music on the radio, has to poo.... Not only words do tell. I, too, miss your everyday post, and I miss you.

Jessica Leader said...

They say you have the children you deserve to have. Just when you think your chillness will be a blessing to a kid, it smacks you in the face! I hope you enjoy the fruits of your oxygen farm, at least!